NAMI Basics is a 6-session education program for parents, caregivers and other family who provide care for youth (ages 22 and younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms. This program is free to participants, 99% of whom say they would recommend the program to others. NAMI Basics is online through NAMI Basics On Demand.
The OnDemand program is guided by parents and family members with lived experience but is self-paced and available 24/7. Basics On Demand offers the flexibility of participating in the course on your schedule. The course offers strategies for understanding emotional and behavioral difficulties and the opportunity to connect with other parents and caregivers.
Sign Up for a Class
Register for NAMI Basics On Demand through NAMI's website to start your self-paced, online course now.
What You’ll Gain
By participating in NAMI Basics, you’ll realize that you are not alone. You’ll find support and shared understanding—compassion, reinforcement and empathy from people who truly get your situation. And don’t forget: Your experiences may also help others in the course. Together, you will all learn that recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
NAMI Basics Covers:
- The impact mental health conditions can have on your entire family
- Different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- An overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and resources to help you navigate these systems
- How to advocate for your child's rights at school and in health care settings
- How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, etc.)
- The importance of taking care of yourself
- Much, much more
What People Are Saying
"This is such a great step-by-step program that walks parents through every step. It’s as if they’re holding your hand through it all."
"This class was unexpectedly wonderful! I did not expect to learn so very, very much! This program is well-written with excellent segues between topics. It covers so much more than BASICS—the title doesn't do it justice."
"I find it truly remarkable that this is free to those who are interested."
"NAMI Basics OnDemand allows parents and primary caregivers to easily access information and resources available to support themselves and their family’s mental health needs."
"The convenience of being able to do the program when I was able to find the time was invaluable."